Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My Sister's House

The Urban Studio project 'My Sister's House' was wrapped up Monday with an open house and reception. While I was unable to stay for the ribbon cutting ceremony, I could tell that there was definitely a lot of buzz about the building on Monday. Walking around and looking at the place, it was obvious that a lot of people must have put a lot of work into its design and construction. It is really great to see a project of such a large scale come from the UNCG IARC program. The building had a very modern look and some very un-traditional details to it. Some examples included the irregular sized and placed windows as well as polished concrete floors throughout the building. There were a few details that I will be interested to see how they are adapted to living with an infant. Particularly the challenge of how to child proof the cabinets and protect the concrete floors to avoid serious bruises from falling when a child is learning to walk. Ultimately I think My Sister's House is a wonderful achievement that will be talked about for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment